Six ways to drive forward Digital Transformation
A lot of businesses are stuck at the point of execution. After the ideas have been generated and the plans laid; change grinds to a halt and the hoped for strategic transformation is never fully realised.
So how do you strike forward positively with strategic change? Let me provide six ideas:
- Build your transformation around a big, yet still realistic, opportunity. Senior management should understand and be united in the pursuit of this opportunity.
- Transform from the bottom up. Gather a team of bright, motivated volunteers to form a steering committee that is tasked with achieving the opportunity.
- Allow the volunteers to develop the strategic initiatives. Senior management are there to guide and support not instruct.
- If your vision is right and the energy is good, you’ll continue to build out the volunteers who want to be involved in the transformation. Create teams filled with multi-disciplined enthusiastic volunteers.
- Where well formed initiatives exist, provide funding and/or resources to get things moving.
- Celebrate every success (big or small) to create a culture where change is rewarded.
PS These aren’t my ideas – go read John Kotter’s article Accelerate at HBR for the full guide on how to drive strategic change.